[mythtv-users] Feature request: VBI captions on by default

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 31 20:33:42 UTC 2007

On 12/31/2007 01:39 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
>
>> You can remap T to TOGGLECC608 "Toggle VBI CC" (rather than
>> TOBBLECC--"Toggle any captions") and then it's only one keypress
>> when you start playback.
>>
> Already done. I'd like the option of not having to do this when
> entering each recording, though.

Yep.  I understand what you mean.  The only reason that I haven't hacked
my copy to prefer EIA-608 NTSC VBI captions is to encourage me to work
on fixing the EIA-708 ATSC captions to work with the data being sent by
my local stations.  Unfortunately, that encouragement doesn't
necessarily equate to actually having time available for the project.  :(

Anyway, IMHO, fixing the ATSC captions is the best way to fix the issue
you're experiencing--having unusable captions when the preferred
captions (EIA-708) are used--as they will be better quality than the
EIA-608 captions when working properly (assuming "native" 708 captions
or properly-translated closed captions).  ;)

Things EIA-708 provides that EIA-608 doesn't:
    - greater bitrate (9600bps versus 960bps)
    - more letters and symbols (supporting multilingual captions)
    - support for multiple fonts--including downloadable fonts (see,
also, the ATSC caption font settings page in Myth)
    - designed for user-controllable font size
    - support for more colors--even drop-shadowed text or translucent
boxes--as specified by the program producers/distributors
    - probably more that I can't think of

Mike