[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Feb 1 12:21:45 UTC 2007

David Watkins wrote:
> On 01/02/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.com> wrote:
>>> Well you could run xmltv by hand in a terminal window.  I presume
>>> you're using tv_grab_uk_rt?
>>>
>>> I think it's:
>>>
>>> tv_grab_uk_rt --configure
>>>
>> Thanks for that David, I'll try it later.
>>> to choose which channels you want to grab, and then just run it and
>>> see what comes up on the screen.  You could then set it to capture to
>>> a file and manually run mythfilldatabase on that file.
>>>
>> Hmm, not sure how to do that. I'll do a search for mythfilldatabase and
>> try to figure out how to use it.
>
> tv_grab_uk_rt --output filename
> mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 filename
>
>> I also need to figure out how to stop the backend and restart it so that
>> I can go into mythtv-setup again.
>

> Well if the backend has been started automatically as a service then
> it would normally be:
>
> /etc/init.d/mythbackend start/stop/restart
>
> (Not quite sure if that's true for Ubuntu though)

Having just moved from Mandriva to Ubuntu, perhaps I can shed dome light
on your difficulties, well, some of them, anyway.

(1) The Ubuntu (perhaps Debian?) install seems to create the 'mythtv'
user in the mysql database with a generated password: mine was
'ovrvzjvw'. All the on-line docs and examples indicate you should be
running with 'mythtv' as a password. Perhaps the best bet is to use
mysqladmin to change it back before going anywhere near mythtv setup.

(2) The 'mythtv' user, I believe, should be considered a 'system'
account, that is, you should never have to log into a shell using it.
Certainly up to now I have never found the need to. Your only link with
it is via the various myth programs and scripts, which should all
reference the mysql.txt file. Note there can be an alarming number of
these files in different locations: why? Anyhow, do a find for them and
make sure they all have identical values.

The only other time you might need the mythtv password is if you use
mysql directly, that's fair enough.

Don't confuse mythtv as a system user with mythtv as a mysql user; the
two are not equivalent, either can exist without the other.

(3) Ubuntu versions of the programs seem to want to change the names of
the files - Mandriva=mythbackend; Ubuntu=mythtv-backend, for example.

(4) Possible problem with EIT data from the UK, if you turn it on for
radio channels - some of them don't set the right categories for
programs. I found every program for BBC Radio 7 flagged as a film -
which makes browsing the film lists difficult.

Hope this adds some enlightenment for the shell-shocked, perhaps.

Mike Perkins