[mythtv-users] IP Tunnel??

Brian Schott bschott at east.isi.edu
Fri Feb 2 02:12:52 UTC 2007

Ahh.  That makes more sense.  Well, the bandwidth issue still might
be a problem.

The big question is: can you see the IP address of the backend from
the frontend?  Is it on a public IP subnet, or at least in a private
subnet that is directly outside your local subnet?  Then, security
aside, all you need to do theoretically is change the master backend
IP address settings (with mythtv-setup), then point the frontend(s)
to the new IP address with the setup menu.

If you need to get through a firewall, you should be able to use ssh
to do the port forwarding. http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/
ssh-tunnel.html
The ports I know about are: MySQL (TCP port 3306) and mythbackend
(TCP ports 6543 and 6544), but I don't know if Mythtv uses any
others.  Again, ssh can be a CPU hog, so I'm not sure what you can
pump through it reliably for a video stream.

Failing all of that, go get a 802.11N wireless access point and a
couple of interface cards and go wireless!  Eliminates all of the
nasty gateway router issues, but you might be competing with campus
wireless networks and still have problems...