[mythtv-users] Diskless

Johan Braeken list.mythtv.users at centerpoint.be
Fri Feb 2 15:11:21 UTC 2007

Quoting Richard Stanaford <rstanaford at gmail.com>:

> [...]

I have a MiniMyth frontend.
It is booting with PXE and running entirely in RAM (512Mb, no swap)
Videos and Music are accessed via NFS.

Working perfectly!
I even have all my DVDs in iso format on the server so I can watch them.

I also run LTSP on the same network and network speed is not an issue for me.
Even when doing massive filetransfers, close to the maximum
theoretical network speed, Mythtv keeps running smoothly.

I have to say I have a Cisco switch, which will probably perform
better than a "entry-level" model. But, even then, I would not expect
problems due to the slow network speeds actually required as explained
below by another poster.

So I would say, running MythTV, even with multiple clients, over the
network is not a problem at all.

Cheers,

Johan.