[mythtv-users] Diskless

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Feb 2 23:04:15 UTC 2007

Brad Templeton wrote:
> One trick to make diskless mythstations -- you can buy adapters that plug
> an compact flash card into an IDE or laptop mini-IDE adapter for just a
> few bucks on eBay.    And cards are cheap as you know.   This will then
> boot on any computer, even computers without ethernet boot or with
> unusual ethernet cards.

I used to work at a place where we routinely built industrial control
PCs that worked that way.  I highly recommend it.  It's reliable (no
moving parts) and easy to set up, because to the host computer the card
just looks like an unusually small IDE hard disk.

The adapters are pretty cheap because they have no electronics on board;
they're effectively just a connector adapter, because CF cards do IDE
natively.