[mythtv-users] Diskless

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Feb 2 23:43:01 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Flash-based CF cards are cheap, but: Using a flash device to hold an
> operating system will work, but the flash device has a finite number
> of memory write cycles that it will tolerate before it starts to fail.

I'm aware of that, but in practice the limit seems to be quite high.  We
used to routinely run Windows 95 (I know, terrible) off flash disks.
The FAT filesystem is a pretty poor choice for flash because so many
writes happen in the directory area; however, failed disks were rare and
we got many years out of them.

I agree that you should avoid swapping to flash disks, not just because
of potentially wearing them out, but also because they're quite slow.
I'd also recommend using the "noatime" option on Linux filesystems.
With those caveats, though, I think they make an excellent boot medium.