[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 3 16:21:49 UTC 2007

On 2 Feb 2007, at 20:48, Damian Surr wrote:
>>> /var/lib/mythtv//nfslockfile.lock: Permission denied
>>> Unable to open lockfile!
>>> Be sure that '/var/lib/mythtv/' exists and that both
>>> the directory and that file are writeable by this user.
>>>

>> Does the directory exist? This is where MythTV is going to try and
>> store your TV recordings.
>>
> Yes, it's there. I tried running
> sudo mythbackend
> and that error didn't show its self. Must be a permissions thing,
> but I
> don't know much about that.

`ls -ld /var/lib/mythtv/` will show the permissions for that
directory, `ls -l /var/lib/mythtv/` will show the permissions for the
files in that directory.

I've reviewed the first 6 results of <http://www.google.com/search?
q=linux+file+permissions> and they all look to me equally quite useful.

You would be advised to use the command-line to make some directories
within your homedir (`mkdir foo`) and change the permissions on those
directories; what is the effect of changing the group that a
directory belongs to? What happens to the permissions when you make a
new file or folder within that directory? What happens when you
change the group permissions for a directory & then create a new file
within in? (use `ls -l` to compare `chmod 777 foo/ & touch foo/bar`
with `chmod 700 grunt/ & touch grunt/wibble`)

I haven't yet installed MythTV, and don't use Ubuntu, so I'm not
familiar with either Ubuntu's default permissions or how MythTV is
actually started. I think you said in a previous posting that the
MythTV setup program worked for one user but not for another. This is
expected behaviour, and you shouldn't be logging on as user `dave` to
run `mythbackend`, but it should be started automatically at bootime.

Stroller.