[mythtv-users] Ubuntu and Nvidia drivers - not quite to the point of tears

Jared C. Davis jared at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 3 23:25:54 UTC 2007

Hi,

I think you should be able to just switch to a virtual console  (i.e.,
Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in, and run the following command:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

This should disable GDM (which is the one that loads X all the time).
Then, after you've installed the drivers, you can run

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

To start GDM up again.  If that doesn't work, you might be running KDM
or XDM, and it's a similar process, just /etc/init.d/kdm stop, etc.
But, since you're on Ubuntu, you're probably running GDM.

Note: this won't require a reboot and it won't persist through a
reboot.  But, I don't think you'd need to reboot just to install the
nvidia driver.

Good luck,
   Jared

On 2/3/07, Rich Osman <rich at osman.com> wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 6.1 installed off the "alternate" CD so I could get an XFS
> filesystem.  I have an NVIDIA 6200LE PCI-express card that I'm trying to
> install the Nvidia binary driver set for.
>
> I can't figure out how to stop X (!)  I need to stop it to do the NVIDIA
> install and I can't figure out how to.  Since Debian always operates at
> runlevel 2 I can't change runlevels to stop it. The NVIDIA docs say that
> I should disable X so that I can reboot to a CLI and manually start X.
> Sensible, but I do want to be able to go back to full graphical for Myth
> operation.  This machine will be my master backend (and a frontend,
> local DNS cache, DHCP Server, and a few other light duty tasks.) I've
> seen something mentioned about Upstart, but I can't seem to find it on
> my system.
>
> How on earth do I temporarily disable X through reboots?
>
> --
> mailto:Rich at Osman.com  http://www.rich.osman.com
> Rich Osman;  POB 93167; Southlake, TX 76092 (Near DFW Airport) ARS: N1OZ
>
> If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know,"
>       PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Jared C. Davis <jared at cs.utexas.edu>
3600 Greystone Drive #604
Austin, TX 78731