[mythtv-users] MythTV: Configuration

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 00:15:52 UTC 2007

On 03/02/07, Lan Barnes <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:
> The MythDora 3.2 installation refuses to connect to the database. the Myth
> FAQs recommends reinstalling from the top, and maybe that's not such a bad
> idea, but I'd prefer to understand and fix.

This could be due to a mysql.txt configuration problem, or a MySQL
user access restriction. Your console output would be most valuable.

> Someone (DJA?) warned that the IP addr of the data base needs to be the
> same in two places. I got the warning late in the game, so it may be the
> problem.
>
> One place is in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt. But where is the other?

mysql.txt can reside in:

[1] /.mythtv/mysql.txt
[2] /home/$MYTHTV_USER/.mythtv/mysql.txt
[3] /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
[4] /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
[5] /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
[6] /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
[7] /usr/local/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

If mythbackend is starting up automatically I'd start by checking in
location [1]. This file can reside off the root directory if no $HOME
environment variable is configured when the init script runs - $HOME
becomes /. Also make sure to check the home directory location for the
user you are starting mythtv-setup with.

> Is there any way to straighten this out without a reinstall? Surely there
> myst be some config files that can be edited by hand.

Absolutely. The only real reasons to reboot or reinstall are
installing/switching to a new kernel, system instability, or a
security breach. Sometimes, a reinstall may seem like the best option.
However, in the hands of an suitably experienced user nearly all
problems on a Linux machine can be fixed when the system is live.

> Let me include some log contents for the clueful. The only cause for
> concern that jumps out at me is that hdd (the DVD drive) errors, which may
> be an issue later, but hardly seems like my problem now.

Nothing there strikes me as particuarly wrong, or useful - the console
output from mythbackend or mythtv-setup would be more useful in
diagnosing this database problem. BTW, did you have a disc in the DVD
drive at startup?

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: