[mythtv-users] Sudden massive problems - SOLVED

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 4 05:50:27 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 22:00, Rod Smith wrote:
> On Saturday 03 February 2007 21:15, Brian Wood wrote:
>
> > and start testing your system to see if you have a hardware problem
> > there. You might have a failing hard drive, a failing power supply,
> > bad RAM - it could really be anything. You just have to start
> > eliminating things one by one.
>
> I don't think it's a hardware problem.

We were both right. It turns out my swap space had been deactivated when I'd
been mucking about with things and reformatted the swap partition -- Ubuntu's
installer used some sort of serial number to refer to the swap partition
rather than a Linux partition identifier, so when I rebooted I had no swap
space. This caused the frontend and/or backend to run out of memory and crash
(I've only got 256MB on this system, but I realize that's inadequate and so
plan to increase it in the near future). So it was a software (configuration)
problem that relates to hardware (memory).

Thanks for your help. With any luck my embarrassing oversight will help
somebody else sometime down the road....

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com