[mythtv-users] MythTV: Configuration

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Feb 4 13:47:15 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
...snip

> mysql.txt can reside in:
>
> [1] /.mythtv/mysql.txt
> [2] /home/$MYTHTV_USER/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> [3] /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> [4] /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
> [5] /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
> [6] /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
> [7] /usr/local/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

...snip

As a matter of interest, can someone enlighten me as why this file
appears in so many places? I wouldn't have considered it necessary to
put this information in more than one place, /etc/mythtv is probably
where it needs to be.

In fact, since the information is useful only to mythtv, even the name
is misleading. It would make more sense for it to be a single file named
  /etc/mythtv.conf.

OK, so maybe the devs have some need for multiple setups, but I can't
conceive of a single occasion where a normal user would. As the
situation currently exists, you have multiple points of failure, and
much potential among the slightly less clueful (i.e. users) for confusion.

Mike