[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Sun Feb 4 16:18:43 UTC 2007

> Go to mythtv.org.
> On the left side of the page, there is a link Documentation.
>
> Since you are having such trouble, you might find the howto at
> wilsonet.org (Jarod Wilson's howto) of great assistance, as it explains
> things well. It is for Fedora, but the only differences with other
> distros are how you install stuff, and some differences in the placement
> of files.

I sept a good session going through the documentation looking for
relevant sections a couple of days ago.

Here's what I found and tried:

"Your MySQL installation may have networking turned off. Check that
/etc/mysql/my.cnf does not contain skip-networking. If it does, remove
it. Also verify that bind-address is set to your IP address instead of
127.0.0.1. If you change either of these items, restart MySQL."

The skip-networking was fine, but I've changed all of the 127.0.0.1's to
192.168.0.2. I've seen conflicting advice on this, but my experience
with networks (in Windows, granted) is that it's specifying the IP's of
everything works much better than any automated networking.
changed ip in mythtv-setup too

set static ip address
changed 'host' for MytvBox to 192.168.0.2
left local host's IP at 127.0.0.1 .. maybe I need to change that one too?

$ mysql -u root mythconverg
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
mysql> flush privileges;

mythbackend
mythfrontend
can't find backend

sudo mythbackend
leave running and open another terminal
sudo mythfrontend
now I can go to live tv and things seem to be working.

It seems to be that the Ubuntu guide sets things up in a way that you
need to log in as the mythtv user. This seems to be contrary to other
things I've read.

Looking at the terminals when I came out, there didn't seem to be any
problems with the backend.
In the frontend, these are the bits that stood out to me ...

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
 Major opcode:  148
 Minor opcode:  3
 Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
 Major opcode:  148
 Minor opcode:  3
 Resource id:  0x0
<snip>
SIP listening on IP Address 192.168.0.2:5060 NAT address 192.168.0.2
SIP: Cannot register; proxy, username or password not set
2007-02-03 09:51:04.998 Connecting to backend server: 192.168.0.2:6543
(try 1 of 5)
<snip>
2007-02-03 09:51:05.631 VideoOutputXv: XvMCTex: Init failed
2007-02-03 09:51:05.633 VideoOutputXv: XVideo Adaptor Name: 'NV17 Video
Texture'
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
 Major opcode:  140
 Minor opcode:  14
 Resource id:  0x190
<snip>
[mpegts @ 0xb73a1500]Parser not found for Codec Id: 94212 !
[mpegts @ 0xb73a1500]Parser not found for Codec Id: 94212 !
2007-02-03 09:52:52.621 TV: Attempting to change from WatchingLiveTV to
None
[mpeg2video @ 0xb72a2a68]ac-tex damaged at 1 30
[mpeg2video @ 0xb72a2a68]Warning MVs not available
2007-02-03 09:52:53.423 TV: Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
<snip>
QDateTime::fromString: Parameter out of range
<snip>

> The script I was referring to is this:
>

> CREATE DATABASE if not exists mythconverg;
> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost
> IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1;
>
> Save that to a file called mc.sql
>
> then call it using:
>
> "mysql -u root -p < mc.sq"
>
> This will create the mythtv user, with password 'mythtv' and give the
> proper privileges.

I've run that a few times now. Done it again just to made sure. Doesn't
seem to be making much difference to anything so I think it's set correctly.
> See my comments at the top. At the moment, you are just thrashing around
> trying ANYTHING.

You probably think I'm still doing that. I'm just trying my best with
the information I can find. I tried to do a 'user friendly' instal from
an Ubuntu guide, and it didn't quite work out. I think there may be
something wrong with the guide because I've seen someone having similar
problems in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2100158#post2100158
 From 'easy guide not working out' to here is a STEEEP learning curve.
Please have a little patience or you'll push people to user friendly
microsoft crap. If a geek like me can't come and install Myth, it's not
an easy thing to do. Nothing's easy until you know. In a few months,
I'll be one of the people in the know. In the mean time, I'm getting
there. I've always learnt the most about computer systems by breaking
them and then working out how to fix them, so this is a great crash
course in Linux for me, but thrashing around and trying anything (that
seems sensible to me) is all I can do with out a simple A,B,C set of
directions (ha, that's where I started out .. that went well!)
> THAT DOES NOT WORK FOR MYTHTV. The entire edifice must be built carefully.
>
> Go read those pages. Then check that mysqld (the server) is running and
> that user mythtv can log on and access database mythconverg.
>
> Then run mythtv-setup and make sure that your backend is pointed to
> properly on the first page of 'General'. It is quite possible that you
> have filled in an IP address at one point when you are running on
> 'localhost....the IP address should be 127.0.0.1 and the name should be
> localhost as that is where you mythtv user is tied to.
> (Once you get this working you can think about what has to be done to
> add another frontend box, which will require a real address).

I went against your advice here, but only because I'm trying everything
I can and advice in the documentation you pointed me to suggested otherwise.
>> Is there a way to reset whatever's going on with mysql, or myth, or
>> whatever the problem may be?
>>
> You do not need to 're-set' anything yet.
> Read the documentation.

I agree, I'm fairly confident that mysql is running fine now. Still
having trouble though.
Thanks for your help Geoff.

Damian