[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: The (not-so-)hidden costs of Vista

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 5 03:13:52 UTC 2007

F Peeters (MythTV) wrote:
> Haven't seen this one on list yet, and as I think it is at least partially
> appliccable to our joined hobby, I though I'd post it:
>
> <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html>

This has been referred to on politechbot and groklaw.

It has very interesting ramifications for everyone who wants to use
their hardware as it should be able to be used. That said, Prof.
Gutman's discription of the Vista spec as 'the longest suicide note in
history' is probably correct.
Although groups like the RIAA can effectively 'buy' politicians, and get
obscene stupidities like the DCMA passed (and the really bad part of it
is that the damn politicians can be 'bought' so cheaply: they don't even
get the money), at the end of the day, the politicians have to get
elected and when a few million people get their hardware device keys
revoked (including politicians)  there will be hell to pay for the
politicians.

And speaking of hell for politicians, the "nicest" thing which we
collectively could do would be to donate copies of Vista to all the
politicians we hate....and wait for the 'solid excreta to impinge on the
revolving turbine' as it surely will.

Geoff