[mythtv-users] OT IR receiver Extensions and Furniture.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 5 16:30:38 UTC 2007

Scott wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:15 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>> I was looking at some TV furniture with my wife. Everything she liked
>> had a solid front, thus completely hiding the mythbox, amplifier, (now
>> defunct) VCR and CD player. I like the look too, but there is this
>> problem of getting the remote's IR signal inside to the correct place.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a method of 'light-piping' an IR signal from the
>> oustide of a piece of furniture to the correct spot inside.
>
> I use xantech equipment in multiple locations of my home and it works
> flawlessly. I'll assume that you have 3 IR targets and short runs of
> less than 6ft. (IR targets are devices that receive the IR signal.)
> If you have longer runs between where your IR receiver will be placed
> and where the IR targets are then you'll want to use cat5 cable and
> and a different connecting block and IR receiver.
>
> www.xantech.com
>
> Get the following:
> 	1 x CB60 connecting block
> 	1 x 781RG Power Supply
> 	1 x  480B-30 OR 480W-30  Dinky Link  IR Receiver (The B is black, W
> is white)
>          3 x  282M IR Emitters (1 each for the VCR, DVD, and MythTV box)
>
> The Dinky Link receiver is mounted discretely outside of your
> cabinet. (eg: place it near the TV and run the wire inside along with
> the TV cables.) The rest is mounted inside with your equipment. The
> Dinky Link plugs into the connecting block along with the 282M IR
> Emitters and the 781G Power Supply. IR signals received by the Dinky
> Link are then blasted through the connecting block and out the 282M
> IR Emitters which are stuck with double stick tape your equipment.
>
> Check the web site for lots of detailed PDFs and many more options.
> The options above are plug and play and as result a bit more pricey.
> Xantech also sells bare-wire versions which are cheaper. A good
> option if you have some spare cat5 cable around and aren't afraid to
> do some basic wiring.

As noted previously, I am looking for a passive system if at all
possible. But gee. more neat gadgets I did not know about.

I ESPECIALLY like the looks of the XTR39 color touchscreen programmable
remote. (Drool, drool).

But then again, I probably wouldn't be able to afford the furniture if I
bought one of those. I cannot see a price listed. Then again, maybe I do
not want to know...one of those 'if you have to ask' questions...

Geoff