[mythtv-users] TiVo (S1) as a MythTV Frontend

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 02:55:59 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:

> The problem with X, really, is that it's intended as a general-purpose
> GUI. I
> presume that MythTV uses it because it's convenient and it provides what's
> needed -- but it also provides a lot that's NOT needed for DVR purposes,
> and
> that creates overhead.

It's worth pointing out that while a lot of those features aren't needed,
they can still be useful. For example, because Myth uses X I can use VNC to
control my Myth system from another machine. This is particularly useful if
I want to mess about with settings, edit meta data for videos or music, and
even just for using MythMusic.

Cheers,
Steve