[mythtv-users] TiVo (S1) as a MythTV Frontend

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Feb 6 11:42:26 UTC 2007

Re: I was just thinking that you;d need some sort of video output device  if you couldn't use the internal one, not necessarily VGA
but what  device would be available without major surgery to the board, except  perhaps a USB device with all its limitations. I
think the Series 1  is USB 1.1 and the Series 2 is USB2. 1.1 would never handle video,  and I doubt 2.0 could do it very well with
the existing devices/drivers.   I've looked into USB video output devices for the NSLU2 but anything  beyond text modes seems out
of the question at this point.

I reiterate the series 1 TiVo has RCA / SCART composite / RF video outputs only.  There is no USB or VGA.  If these hardware outputs
(particularly the Composite) could not be utilised then I would be the first to say forget it.

One other point I might make is that there is a large TiVo hacking community.  On my analysis MythTV is a better PVR solution with
increased flexibility and a longer term future.  There are many competent TiVo hackers who could become motivated to reuse their
TiVos.  If they became persuaded to use their extensive TiVo knowledge then something good might come of it, including more
programmers ultimately contributing to the MythTV story.  Dangling a carrot saying it might be best done this way (whatever that is)
might be helpful.

I have been looking at the MediaMVP also, they seem incomplete in their functionality at this point in time.  Why buy these when one
has TiVo's?  (Apart from the obvious that they do not yet work!)

Kind regards
David Hingston