[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-Users} Mythmail Dead? anyone confirm deny....

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue Feb 6 16:14:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:52:07 -0800
Asher <freedenizen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/6/07, jonny Linux <jonnylinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's a good idea, but I was recently wondering if anything could be done
> > using mythtvosd. I'd quite like to be notified of the subject and sender as
> > the mail comes in. I tried to use a Thunderbird extension to automatically
> > run a script, but it didn't work (probably only works in Windows)! Does
> > anyone know of anything that would check my mail every 10 minutes, and run
> > an arbitrary script when new mail arrives?
>
> well fetchmail is good for getting the mail and procmail for
> processing it.  There might be a better all in one solution though.
> Procmail might be overkill for your needs.

I've been poking at this since this was brought up... I am somehow drawn to this sort of thing...

Anyway, I was considering the same thing at first... but figured that it should run on something that would always be on (the backend): It should not download mail (why download a 3MB attachment when you only need the header), people may just use outlook (I hear some people still run windows), so dragging mail down may be overkill.

I am looking at Getmail, over fetchmail.  I am not sure if it supports just getting the headers - which would be optimal.  I'd like it to just grab the headers it has not already seen before.  Since it supports a slew of connection types, it could be the way to go.  Hopefully my morning will stay quiet and I can pursue this...