[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Jeffery Swan scientist at engineer.com
Tue Feb 6 16:22:37 UTC 2007

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "David Campbell"
  To: "Discussion about mythtv"
  Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv
  Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:11:46 +0000

  Jeffery Swan wrote:
  > If this is how it works (and I am assuming it is) I am thinking
  > that to reduce network traffic, I should put the NAS on a
  > seperate subnet. If the myth tv backend(s) have two NICs each
  > with one NIC dedicated to the NAS subnet and the other for the
  > front ends the network traffic should be much more stream lined.

  Are you really going to use more than 100mbit of traffic? Surely the
  IO
  of the raid 5 will be the bottleneck - rather than your network?
  Unless
  HD records at higher than 12MB a sec which seems unlikely to me.

  Raid 0 will improve write speeds which is available on FreeNas - but
  then no redundancy.
  --
  David Campbell :: www.cpfc.org

Actually I have 9 Front ends, 4 Backends, 6 Directv receivers and capture
cards, 4 Security cameras with associated capture cards, and nearly 5 TB
of Video/Audio/Photos. The reason I am looking at NAS is to move all my
storage out of the Backends. My goal is to use 3 old mini-tower cases
with 4 500 GIG drives each all on a Gigabit backbone. I was hoping that
having the seperate cases would aleviate the bottleneck issue.

As for using linux to run these, the FreeBSD seems to be fine and I am
able to use some really old PCs. My current "experimmentation model" is a
Pentium 600 Mhz with 256 Meg RAM and it seems to work great. (Yes I am a
cheap Bast***)!!!

Anyway, with the little bit of testing I have done, the two subnet system
seems to work well and has greatly reduced BW usage on the main subnet.
As for "people" (wife, kids, etc.) who still want to use windows to
upload photos and music, I have a 200 Gig HD in one of the backends
running a samba server. This HD is an "upload" space. I wrote a script to
move these uploaded files to the NAS around 2:00am each morning.

This gives an added layer of protection as now no one can get to any of the files directly.

Does anyone know... can I use LVM over multiple NAS so that it all looks like a big /multimedia drive? I'll have to do some more experimenting when I get
another NAS up and running.

Last but certainly not least... I am hoping that eventually the freeNAS
will have DLNA making it even more useful :-)

Thanks for the input and suggestions!!!