[mythtv-users] mythtv hardware plans

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 6 19:09:50 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Rod Smith wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 11:02, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>> I think I'm going to start an "Adeff's recommended MythTV Hardware"
>> wiki or weekly email or something...
>
> Actually, that's an excellent idea. I'd say the best format would
> be a Web
> page with about half a dozen recommended hardware configurations for
> different purposes (HDTV frontend, SD frontend, frontend/backend,
> etc.),
> updated as frequently as possible. To keep this from being a confusing
> free-for-all, just one person should maintain it, or at most a
> small group of
> people. (To somebody looking for succinct advice on what to buy,
> conflicting
> advice -- some of it outdated -- can be quite confusing.) A link to
> this page
> should feature prominently in the wiki. I think putting it in the
> wiki itself
> would be a mistake, though, since that'd open it up to expansion by
> additional people, which could serve to confuse matters for newbies
> looking
> for succinct advice.

Those configurations could be put on the WiKi, the way Steve A did
(didn't I say that a couple of days ago?). No need for a weekly thing
IMHO.

You have to be careful about the "will this work" type of post
because it can devolve into a "look what I can afford" contest, the
way some of the gaming sites have gone.

The other side of that coin is of course "look what I can do with old
junk", probably more useful.

But as I said the other day, the fact that a particular combination
works in a satisfactory manner for one person does not mean somebody
else would be happy with it.

I wouldn't want to see anyone spend a lot (or even a little) money
based on a suggestion here and then not be happy and blame the list
members. That sort of thing does happen elsewhere and it leads to
very bitter feelings.