[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-Users} Mythmail Dead? anyone confirm deny....

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 23:27:08 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, Bill Chmura <Bill at explosivo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 17:40:18 +0000
> "jonny Linux" <jonnylinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry Bill, I just accidentally sent my reply to you rather than the
> whole
> > list!
> >

> > > Anyway, what will be checking the mail?  The backend?  If not, what
> > > platform?
> >

> > Well, my idea was just to have a script on the frontend, that launched a
> > program (I don't know much about fetchmail, but it sounds like that
> would do
> > it), and waited for output to launch MythTVOSD.
>
> With multiple frontends, configuration of this would be better centralized
> on the back-end.
>
> I would also avoid downloading all the mail, just to check from to and
> subject.  Those are all in the header and does not require the whole
> envelope.  Less impact overall this way.
>

> > I wrote something before to turn lights on and off when I had mail, but
> with
> > > the increase in spam it became pointless.
> > >
> > > Also, then how do you have it filter by user?  I like the VOSD idea,
> but
> > > there is a bunch of little issues with doing that...
> >

> > Maybe - I just have a BE/FE in my bedroom, which is where I imagined the
> > script would run, so theres no real problem for me. My FE downstairs
> could
> > run a similar script for a different account if we wanted to.
>
> Bah, you need to over complicate things like I do. Otherwise there is no
> challenge to it. :)
>

> > > * My wife does not want to see my mail - I also don't want her to see
> that
> > > I got a Newgg order confirmation in :)
> > >
> > > * Spam
> > >
> > > * I don't want to see her email about this and that..
> > >
> > > * I don't want to see notification for every mail from Mythtv-users (I
> > > love you guys, but sometimes its best to have a little time without).
> >

> > I have several email addresses (and gmail addresses), the spam detection
> in
> > GMail usually seems quite good, and I wouldn't use this email address
> which
> > is subscribed to this list! I very rarely get spam for my main GMail
> address
> > - so I wouldn't mind an OSD message for each one.
>
> Yeah, I am not so fortunate.  I think I would personally need to approach
> it from a whitelist type thing.  I suppose I could also do a blacklist
> functionality, that should not be much harder.
>

> > > It would not be bad to whip up something in perl that checked accounts
> and
> > > sent VOSD signals.  I would definitely limit it to a white list of
> senders
> > > and / or domains though.
> > >
> > > The grail of integration would be a click "L" or whatever to view,
> then
> > > have it popup in a window onscreen :) - but that is beyond my skill
> level

> [...]

Hi Everyone,

thanks for all the responses, I am just a user of myth and i have no idea
how to code anything, so i anit going to be much help i am afraid.

But what i had in mind was just a basic email client. i am sure that the
wife wants to be able to do anything with the email she would normally do
with outlook. But she complains every time i pull out the keyboard. "this is
a lounge room not your study" or similar. funny how things change when she
deems it worthy.......

the idea to have a menu item that drops you out of Myth and loads an email
client would be a great first step. and combine that with an OSD of incoming
emails would be great.

CH