[mythtv-users] Transcoded DVD files && ac3

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Wed Feb 7 01:12:54 UTC 2007

nasa01 at comcast.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have successfully ripped dvd files from some TV shows I am trying to
> store on my harddrive (Battlestar Gallatica - Season 2).  The
> resulting files play fine, except no ac3 audio is passed through my
> s/pdif connection.  When I play the dvd, the audio comes through just
> fine.  What may I be missing?  I am recording the shows at the
> "excellent" setting.  And I have the encode with AC3 selected.
> Finally, looking at the mplayer command line (alt-ctrl-f1 and looking
> at the output) it show ac3 is there, but it doesn't show up on my
> receiver.
>
> Oh, one bonus question -- what's the best way to start mtd?  It
> doesn't start at bootup and pressing 0 doesn't work (wrong path?).  I
> start it at the command line, and all works fine from there.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Nasa

Wow, this sounds like a familiar problem. ;-) Here are 2 quick things to
check (now that I think I'm a pro at Linux sound):
1) Make sure your following some of the suggestions at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DigitalSoundHowTo especially the
"But I want to have all my sound go to the S/PDIF connector, how do I do
that?" section.
2) Make sure you have pass-through enabled in Myth and pointed to your
SPDIF device. I use (hand typed) ALSA:spdif for the pass through device
value. It is located in Myth at "Utilities/Setup > Setup > General >
"Audio" (3rd) screen.

With your MTD issue, see this: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mtd
and note that depending on your distro you will have to add the command
to your start file... say for Fedora Core X it would be /etc/rc.local
file so it will start after a reboot. and don't forget to add a "&" sign
after the command so rc.local won't hang.

Hope this helps!

--
Josh