[mythtv-users] DVD -vs Recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 7 08:35:38 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Trey Thompson wrote:

>>> Just noticed...  my ripped ISO files play the perfect size on my TV,
>>> but recordings just don't seem to fit right (95% OK, but just not
>>> exact).
>>>
>>> Totally no big deal, I just thought the video to the screen would be
>>> about the same...
>>>
>>> I'm on a week old SVN, FC5, nVidia 6200 TC.
>>>

>> What resolution are you recording at? You may be recording at 640x480
>> instead of the 720x480 that a DVD is recorded at (assuming NTSC).
>>
>> This assumes also that you are recording with a PVR or similar, and
>> thus have control of the recorded resolution.
>
> My Default profile is 720x480.  All recordings use that profile.

How are you playing back your ISOs? Perhaps you are using mplayer and
passing the "full screen mode" flag to it when it starts.

Your recordings might be being played back in a window that is
"almost" but not quite full screen.

I'm just guessing here because I don't know the details of your
setup, but it's probably something like that.

Might be interesting to make a DVD of one of your recordings, then
rip it and play the ISO and see the results.

Ultimately you must find out if it's a difference in the actual
recordings or in the way they are being played back.