[mythtv-users] Frontend/Backend Hardware Suggestions on a Budget

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 10:51:51 UTC 2007

I use a coolermaster 260 case,  which was only about £60 UK. It takes either
full size atx or matx boards, 2 Hds, 1 optical, and uses standard atx psus.
In mine I have an athlon xp 2000 running a combined be/fe system with 512mb
of memory with 2 hds and a cheap generic psu, runs fairly quiet. I can only
hear it with the tv and everything else off.

If you are using hardware encoding or dvb cards then you should be able to
find end of life boards and amd cpus fairly cheaply if you shop about.
they'll have plently of power for normal use.

With Uk pricing I could get a board and cpu for about £80 (about $150-160)
add £40 ($80) for memory, and about £50 for a 250GB hard disk and £20 for a
dvd-rw drive. Usb dvb-t tuners are about £35 each, and about £40-50 for
something like a hauppauge pvr-150
Look for reasonable makes such as gigabyte, msi, and asus for example.
having said that I ran be/fe on a "jetway" generic matx board which cost
next to nothing for about 3 years with very little problems.

You will not get complete silence, but you can build a pc inexpensively
which is quiet enough to be unobtrusive in a normal living room enviroment.

gary