[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 13:22:10 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Obviously, if you could afford 12 disks, it would be a lot more sensible
> > go for a fibre attached raid or proper NAS
>
> A)  Where on earth are you going to get a fibre attatched RAID and a fibre
> channel for less than the cost of 30 disks, let alone 12?
>
> B) 4 or 5 disks in a linux fileserver with GigE is the very definition of
> "proper NAS."
>
> > 3 cases * 4 drives = 1  NORCO DS-1210 or similar
>
> Yeah, a NORCO DS-1210 with 3 or 4 drives in it - which makes a lot less
> sense than a single case with 3 or 4 drives and stores 1/3 the data of
> threee boxes with 3 or 4 drives in them :)

last I checked 3*4=12
The Norco DS-1210 is a Firewire attached 12 drive RAID enclosure.
Newegg sells it for $570, which last I checked is about the price of
the hardware for 3 computers (~$200 each, assuming modest *very*
hardware), with a lower electrical power requirement, a lower space
requirement, an increased ease of installation, etc.

But thanks for playing the "I have heard your suggestion, made no
inquiries in to its effectiveness, and have decided to counter with a
quick quip" game!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!