[mythtv-users] TV Recommendations

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 18:06:05 UTC 2007

> >> It's a T.I. technology that is useful for some things, like making
> >> projectors, and not for others, like washing clothes.
> >>
> >> What precisely are you wanting to know, whether it is better or worse
> >> than something else? For what application?
> >
> > How does DLP compare to plasma and lcd. I know there are lots of
> > reviews, but its hard to tell who wrote the review and whether or not
> > they are unfairly biased. I've been quite impressed by the DLP
> > televisions that I saw at the store when compared to LCD and plasma
> > (except for size). Just wondering why this technology hasn't taken off
> > yet.
>
> Be a bit careful of what you see in the stores. Some have been known
> to use video proc amps to drive the video levels higher on the sets
> they are "pushing" (ie: have higher profit margins). They can get
> away with this as long as they carefully control the video selections
> to ensure no high-level scenes.
>
> Best if you can look at an off-air signal tuned by the set you want
> to evaluate, there are some potential problems with this but at least
> you have removed some of the things the store can "tweak".
>
> Of course this only works if the set has a tuner, if it's a monitor
> the safest thing to do is physically move the video cable from one
> set to another so you know they are getting the same signal.
>
> But this still doesn't prevent the unit's internal controls being
> played with.
>
> Plus you are trying to evaluate a picture under flourescent lighting,
> probably not what you have in your home. I suppose it's better than a
> "simulated picture" on a web site though.
>
> If the picture looks substantially better on a "bargain" set that
> *should* be inferior be suspicious.
>
> It's not hopeless, just difficult.

and of course, read the avsforum and trade magazine reviews.

We have a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP and love it. It's bright, has
excellent color (due to a 6 color wheel) and is *huge*. As for the
difference between DLP and Plasma/LCD, I think the biggest difference
is size, DLP being thicker, and mounting options. Of course as you go
larger the cost of DLP is much lower than Plasma/LCD.

I would also suggest adding ~$200 to any TV price to pay for an ISF tuning.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!