[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Wed Feb 7 18:21:15 UTC 2007

I ended up with this:

http://www.calpc.com/catalog/8u-13bay.html

which cost me a total of ~$140 including shipping.

Add an IcyDock 5 in 3 SATA:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817994028R

and I still have an insane amount of bays left for drives.  The nice
thing about the IcyDock is that the SATA drives connect using the SATA
power connector, but the actual chassis itself uses 2 ea standard 4-wire
molex power connectors, so you don't need a SATA power supply.  And
since SATA supports hotswap, I can pull a drive without shutting down.
(Got it connected to a 3Ware 9500 which supports hot pulls)

As far as fit and finish, this is probably the nicest chassis I've ever
installed; everything is machined _exactly_ where you'd expect it to be,
so you don't end up with mounting holes in the wrong place.

However, it _is_ a honkin big case.