[mythtv-users] TV Recommendations

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 18:35:13 UTC 2007

> and of course, read the avsforum and trade magazine reviews.
>
> We have a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP and love it. It's bright, has
> excellent color (due to a 6 color wheel) and is *huge*. As for the
> difference between DLP and Plasma/LCD, I think the biggest difference
> is size, DLP being thicker, and mounting options. Of course as you go
> larger the cost of DLP is much lower than Plasma/LCD.
>
> I would also suggest adding ~$200 to any TV price to pay for an ISF
> tuning.
>
> --
> Steve

However, you must keep in mind that some DLPs have issues.  Some people have
reported seeing "rainbows" on the screen during fast action scenes.  This is
a result of the color wheel.  It spins in there and during fast action the
picture moves faster thus not allowing all the colors to hit the specific
detail in the scene and causing the rainbow effect (I'm pretty sure that's
the right description).  On projection systems (like some LCDs and DLPs) you
can have a recurring cost of the lamp.  These lamps range in price but a
good assumption is $300ish.  Keep that in mind.  LCDs aren't perfect
either.  They can have crazy high resolutions (Westinghouse's 1080p monitors
for example) but they don't have very high contrast ratios (as compared to
plasma).  People with more sensitive vision might see ghosting as well on
the screens.  Plasmas were discussed earlier in the thread.  For me, the
possibility of burn in makes plasmas a no go.  Not to mention their
outrageous prices as compared to same rez LCD TVs (1080p).  If it were me,
I'd go with an LCD.  They're thin, and depending who you go with, you can
have great inputs.  However, you're limited on size.  If you want 50+
inches, a rear projection LCD or DLP would be cheaper.  It's not a fun
decision, but just make sure you have the facts.  Plus, I also HIGHLY
recommend the AVS Forums.  Those guys know what's up.

-Lib