[mythtv-users] HD Woes (so close to working, dual-channel RAM question)

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Wed Feb 7 20:41:03 UTC 2007

On 2/3/07, Nate Crosno <nate at crosno.net> wrote:
> After trowing an even 'bigger' processor at it, I am now able to mostly play
> back 1080i, but it still pauses every few seconds.  The new processor is an X2
> 3800. I bit the bullet on the dual core to hopefully solve this once and for
> all, and be able to comm flag/transcode while watching shows.
>
> I've been playing with all the settings, but so far the best is using libmpeg2.
> I don't see a difference between any of the interlace methods. All take up 100%
> of one CPU.
>
> I'm currently running a 720p mode from the mode pool. Even watching 720p videos
> was taking up all the CPU of the Athlon 64 3400 before the new processor (did
> an exchange with newegg).  Because of the 720p problem, I stop worrying about
> trying to get a 1080i modeline to work for now.
>
> So my current question is how much of a difference does dual channel memory
> make on a Mythtv system?  I am an idiot and did not realize I actually had a
> 1gb and a 512mb stick and not 2x512.  In the bios on startup, it says it's
> running in single channel mode.
>
> Thanks,
> Nate

I have an ASUS board with the nvidia 6150 chipset and an athlon fx-55
(single core).  With three 512mb sticks in it (long story, one module
died, bought two more, waiting on 4th rma, blah blah) the video and
audio were choppy, the frontend was slow.. generally unhappy.  I
removed the 3rd stick and everything went back to normal.  So at least
in my case, dual channel made a significant difference.

--Glenn