[mythtv-users] What does the mythtv-vid branch and OpenGL renderer have to offer

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Feb 8 02:20:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 16:58 +0000, Stroller wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2007, at 10:11, Mark Kendall wrote:
>
> > On 2/6/07, Viktor Avramov <drvik at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >> What is the purpose of the mytht-vid branch??
> >
> > Just in case you hadn't spotted it, Daniel laid out his aims a
> > while back:-
> >
> > http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2287
>
> Presumably the plan is for this work to be folded back into the main
> tree at some point in the future?
>
> > While there are many other options to pursue with opengl, my personal
> > end game is to have a quality edge detection/motion adaptive
> > deinterlacer and lanczos or similar upscaling filter to allow me to
> > display my standard def sources at 1080p in realtime.

> Is it not possible at present to display "standard def sources at
> 1080p in realtime", or are you referring to extra-quality upscaling &/
> or the constraints of your hardware?

You can display these quite easily using the XVideo and XvMC
playback methods; I've been doing it for about 3 years now.
The problem is that the new OpenGL replacement for XVideo has
not yet been fully optimized so if you choose to use that
video output method you might get some stuttering. We don't
have any idea how fast it will be once it has been optimized,
but I suspect that a 5xxx level card will be able to handle
1080i. One of the the things the mythtv-vid branch gives you
is a choice in how to handle different types of video, so
you can use a high quality scaler for SDTV, but skip that
HQ scaling step when outputting HDTV since you don't need it.
The means that you can get the best quality/performance
trade-off for each video type.

-- Daniel