[mythtv-users] Can not RIP DVD

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Thu Feb 8 12:08:41 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Paulo Rocha wrote:
>

>> Hi, I am going nuts with this thing and can't figure it out.
>>
>> I can play DVD's and CD's
>> I can rip CD's
>> I can rip individual titles of DVD's
>>
>> but when I try to rip the movie (title 1) in any format (ie. iso,
>> perfect) I
>> get nothing.
>>
>> If I use iso it looks like it's working but at around the 50 sec
>> mark it's
>> stops and give me the nothing to do screeen. When I check the
>> mtd.log I see a
>> DVD device read error.
>>
>> If I use the perfect mode it will appear to work for hours and myth
>> dvd rip
>> shows that in needs 500+ hours to rip.
>>

>> I am running FC 6 on a AMD Athlon 2400+
>>

>> any ideas would really be grateful.
>>

> Is this just on one particular DVD or on many or all of them. I
> believe I've read (probably here) about some newer DVDs that have
> intentional bad sectors as a copy protection scheme and may not be
> easily ripped by normal techniques.
>
> Remember that certain forces are doing there level best to stop you
> from doing what you are trying to do.

Yea, I have a small DVD stack (5 to be exact) from my 200+ collection
that I had to use my Windows apps to rip because Myth just pukes out on
them. There is one pretty decent app that you can try if your all Linux
and that is DVD::Rip. It has a lot of dependencies, but once you get it
installed and figure out the interface it works very well, even for
DVD's that are a pain in the ... From watching the logs, MythDVD appears
to actually play a very minor role in the actual ripping tasks so maybe
if someone knows what package does the actual "grunt work" (maybe
libdvdcss?) and also pukes out on these types of DVD's we could submit
reports on them? In my Windows converts I see in the logs "replacing bad
sectors with blank frames" a lot on those DVD's so maybe that would be a
good place to start... hhhmmm.

--
Josh