[mythtv-users] consecutive recordings not working

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 13:27:31 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:

> ryan patterson wrote:
> > "Previously Recorded" page in mythfrontend just lists the show in yellow
> > and says "aborted".  I don't see any info for why it was aborted.  I
>
> That's exactly what I was looking for. This verifies the state.
> The show was slated to record and not a conflict. The device,
> channel info, signal were okay so it could have recorded...
>
> > checked the full log file but I don't see an explination for why the
> > recording was aborted there either.  Here is the relevant part of the
> log:
> >
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:02.905 TVRec(1): RingBufferChanged()
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:02.978 MythSocket(8213b20:-1): writeStringList: Error,
> > called with unconnected socket.
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:03.001 MythSocket(8206130:-1): writeStringList: Error,
> > called with unconnected socket.
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:03.002 MythSocket(abc19668:-1): writeStringList: Error,
> > called with unconnected socket.
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:02.979 Finished recording Wheel of Fortune "Charleston,
> > S.C. Week": channel 1051
> > 0: start_time: 409.331 duration: 1.159
> > 1: start_time: 409.331 duration: 1.159
> > stream: start_time: 4548.127 duration: 12.880 bitrate=17428 kb/s
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:03.025 AFD: Opened codec 0x81c0cb0, id(MPEG2VIDEO)
> > type(Video)
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:03.032 AFD: Opened codec 0x824bdb0, id(AC3) type(Audio)
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:02.961 Canceled recording (Aborted): Prison Break
> > "Chicago": channel 1441 on cardid 1, sourceid 1
> > 2007-02-05 20:00: 03.072 scheduler: Last message repeated 3 times:
> > Finished recording: Wheel of Fortune "Charleston, S.C. Week": channel
> 1051
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:03.096 scheduler: Canceled recording (Aborted): Prison
> > Break "Chicago": channel 1441 on cardid 1, sourceid 1
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:03.112 MythSocket(8213b20:-1): writeStringList: Error,
> > called with unconnected socket.
> > 2007-02-05 20:00:03.120 MythSocket(8206130:-1): writeStringList: Error,
> > called with unconnected socket.
> > 2007-02-05 20:00: 03.121 MythSocket(abc19668:-1): writeStringList:
> > Error, called with unconnected socket.
>
> So the problem isn't what is coming up at 9pm; it's "Wheel of
> Fortune" that ran until 8pm.
>
> > Could my abort problem be related to the MythSocket error messages?
>
> Yes. I don't know of any current bugs that would account for
> this but over the years I've seen the frontend and backend
> get out of sync and in a funky state for their communications.
> Usually this clears up by restarting the master backend so if
> it has been running since before these incidents, try restarting.
>
> That said, I can easily produce an abort with no partial file.
> When a scheduled recording is about to start on the same tuner,
> a menu pops up with three choices and counts down the seconds.
> If I choose "Don't let it record, I want to watch TV" the show
> does not record and is marked as aborted.

> [...]

Thanks for the detailed response.  I think there is a pretty good chance the
person watching Live TV simply ignored the message that was displayed on the
screen.  That is if they were even watching.  There is a good chance they
were knitting in the next room or off in the kitchen getting a snack.  I can
guaranty wheel of fortune was only "being watched" because it follows
Jeopardy, which is already scheduled to recorded.  But the concept of
waiting and watching the recording is hard to press forward with some of the
viewers.

I will follow your suggestions.  But I wish there was a setting to
automatically end Live TV with no choice given to the viewer if there is a
conflict.  Or the default when time expires should be "record the scheduled
program".  Some members of my household are not technical wizards.  They
would prefer to use the watch Live TV function instead of recording a show
and watching later.  Progress has been made though I haven't found Live TV
running with the TV off all afternoon/overnight for a while.

Concerning the "Avoid Conflicts with Live TV" option.  I will turn it back
on.  The problem with it though is I have HD and am trying to set up my
standard definition recorder for the cable box.  With the avoid conflicts
option Live TV would choose the standard definition recorder.  So the viewer
would manually switch to one of the HD tuners.  Most likely the first HD
tuner, where most of the recordings are scheduled.  So there were more
buttons to push for no gain.  Right now the standard definition recorder is
disabled so I can turn "Avoid Conflicts" back on.

--  bjm