[mythtv-users] Confused about the channel editor / adding HDTV QAM channels

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 8 16:47:13 UTC 2007

Phil Bridges wrote:
> On 2/7/07, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What am I missing when it comes to adding my channels from my new QAM
>> HDTV card?  I have the card installed, and I did a channel scan.  From
>> there, I was able to go into live TV mode (with no stuttering on a
>> 3000+)  and view the few HD channels I can get.  This is when I ran
>> into problems, though.
>>
>> I could edit the channels (mostly local), and I assigned the same
>> callsigns to them as my analog channels (for instance, WSB, which is
>> channel 3 on my analog cable.  After I did this, I could no longer
>> tune to that channel using the up/down keys.  Does this sound correct?
>>  It is as if Myth is trying to tune to the actual channel 3 (or it may
>> even be 2) on my HD card.
>>
>> In addition, when I just looked at my listings via Mythweb, I don't
>> even have my WSB listed.  In it's place, on channel 3, I now have:
>>
>> 3
>> Adding Channel 3
>>         NO DATA
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?  Hoe do I set up MythTV to (a) show only the HD
>> channels that I want to watch in HD and (b) let me tune into and
>> record listings off those channels?
>>

> Well, I've been able to add the channels in using a local broadcast
> DirectData feed, but it's changed my channel frequencies - for
> instance, it moved my ABC to 5#1, when it's somewhere in the 80's.
> Perhaps I shouldn't have obeyed the big bold warning at the told of
> this wiki entry:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards

Myth gets horribly confused if you have 2 channels which are exactly the
same. I suspect that your analog WSB is repeated as a digital channel.
In that case, the xmltvid would be the same. Myth 'wants' to have
discrete sets of channels, without overlaps of channels on different
hardware setups. It does not mind having similar tuners, such as the 2
in a PVR500. It dislikes having the *same* channel tunable by 2
completely different methods. (Not to say that in a perfect world it
should be able to do that, but it is what it presently is...)

So you must choose the channels you want to get digitally, and set up
your Zap2it lineup for those only. The others go into a different lineup.

Others have faced this problem. I do not think there is an easy answer.
You might try the wiki and search the list archive.

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor
       Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West