[mythtv-users] Transcode loses subtitles

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:38:10 UTC 2007

On 1/25/07, ThomP Pontoppidan <thomp3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to use the transcode job and keep subtitles, and if so,
> how is it done?

Here's what the wiki has to say:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Create_SRT_Subtitles_From_MythTV_Recordings

I recall seeing a thread about the possibility of using ProjectX with
MythArchive to convert mpeg2 files with embedded subtitle data into
dvd-compliant subtitle data.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/238104#238104

I would like to see mythtranscode turn out files in a container format
that can include subtitles (and while we're at it... recording
metadata would be nice :)

The mplayer site has a good media format summary -
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/video-formats.html

Personally, I think matroska would be a great fit. It's open,
extensible, and about as poorly supported on Windows as nuv ;)

Oh... and I think it would be exceptionally cool to add the option to
mtd to rip a dvd to a matroska file -
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Matroska

-Ross