[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Andreas Ntaflos daff at dword.org
Thu Feb 8 20:14:27 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 19:21:15 Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> I ended up with this:
>
> http://www.calpc.com/catalog/8u-13bay.html
>
> which cost me a total of ~$140 including shipping.
>
> Add an IcyDock 5 in 3 SATA:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817994028R
>
> and I still have an insane amount of bays left for drives.  The nice
> thing about the IcyDock is that the SATA drives connect using the SATA
> power connector, but the actual chassis itself uses 2 ea standard 4-wire
> molex power connectors, so you don't need a SATA power supply.  And
> since SATA supports hotswap, I can pull a drive without shutting down.
> (Got it connected to a 3Ware 9500 which supports hot pulls)

This is interesting, I've been looking for a SATA controller that has hardware
AND driver support for hotswap. Apparently I've been looking in the wrong
places (hardware supported by the new libata drivers -- not much support
seems to exist yet for hotswap).

Do I get this right: using a controller like the 9500 and an IcyDock would
support, say, some RAID configuration of external SATA drives (eSATA) and the
possibility to remove one of the disks without having to turn off the system,
and the RAID would stay intact? That could prove very useful I'd think.

Unfortunately the 9500 is a bit pricier than most stuff supported by libata.
And isn't the IcyDock very noisy (the fan and when filled with drives)?

Andreas
--
Andreas "daff" Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4