[mythtv-users] STEP 3 Destroy your TV

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 23:49:55 UTC 2007

On 08/02/07, Peter Ebert <ebertp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm going to be using a nVidia 7300 LE that has S-Video out, eventually i'd
> like to use the hdmi (once I pony up the cash for an HD). Anyone know if I
> need to be worried and how to go about not breaking TVs.

In my experience, using standard TV-out via composite/S-Video is
nearly always simpler than using a VGA/DVI connection, because most
video cards will automatically generate a suitable modeline (the
resolution and timings of the signal) to use with a TV. You tell the
video driver your video standard (NTSC/PAL etc) and it generates a
suitable configuration for you. You may not even need to have a
dedicated modeline in your X configuration, just the resolution(s) you
want to run your TV at.

Using VGA/DVI can be more involved and frequently involves writing or
finding a modeline for your particular TV. I would normally find a TV
that I like, check that it will work with a PC (some TVs state that
their DVI port is not for PC use) and then check to see whether other
users are successfully using the TV. If others are using the TV
without problems, it's generally a safe bet you'll get it working.

As Brian states many new TVs will refuse to display anything if they
detect an out of range input signal so there is some level of
protection offered against releasing the magic blue smoke, but just
remember to take things carefully. Powerstrip for Windows can be very
useful when trying to get the best from your TV, and the AVS Forums
are always worth a read.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: