[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Fri Feb 9 00:08:11 UTC 2007

On Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 11:23:18PM +0000, Stroller wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2007, at 20:52, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> > Yes, I have a 5x320GB RAID-5 on a 9500S-12.  One of the drives is
> > currently out and RMAd to Seagate, so I'm running with only 4 drives.
> >
> > I didn't have to power down the server to pull the drive - the RAID
> > card
> > had already bypassed the drive because it was throwing errors.
>
> That's very useful to hear.
>
> What are the drivers like for the 9500? OSS?
> Written by the manufacturer? Part of the main kernel tree?

They're included in the main tree and, from a quick check, are written by
the manufacturer.

> I'd be very interested to hear any other recommendations for an SATA
> hardware RAID card that supports hot-swap & can be fully configured
> under Linux. Although (considering the typical £1:$1 import rate
> conversion) I'd prefer to pay less than $309, that price is
> acceptable and far more important is driver support. I'd like a hot-
> swap card that can easily be queried for driver status using the CLI,
> logs errors to syslog and which can be expected to be supported under
> Linux forever & a day (I thought I might look at some of those with
> OpenBSD support, reasoning these cards are likely to have open driver
> documentation & good Linux support, too).

I think the 3ware card meets all of these - there's a CLI as well as a
web interface, errors are logged to syslog and drivers are included with
the main kernel tree.  Another very useful thing is that the individual
drives can still be accessed for SMART monitoring - something most RAID
controllers don't seem to support.  I've actually just picked up a
secord 3ware card (a 7500) - I have several old PATA drives and that was
the cheapest way of getting them all hooked up to the new motherboard!
I would recommend taking a very good look at the 9550 though - the specs
are significantly better than the 9500, not sure how price compares
though.

Cheers,
        Robin
--