[mythtv-users] pchdtv 5500, verizon fios, and ota, oh my!

Kurt Yoder ktymyth at yoderhome.com
Fri Feb 9 04:29:16 UTC 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 11:21 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> Here in the Philly area it's plain QAM-256 on the Verizon coax.  I was
> able to detect 60 or so signals, although about 2/3 of them were
> music-only channels (I think) that just confused Myth when I tried to
> tune to them.  But all the SD and HD OTA channels were there in the
> clear and I've had no problems tuning and recording them in Myth.
> N.b: this using an AverTV HD A-180.
>
> How sure are you that you have the 5500 configured correctly?

I can definitely tune at least 2 HD channels using my crappy antenna
and the 5500. They break up a lot, but that's due to low signal
strength. Did you simply hook the coax cable from the wall into your
5500 and the scan for channels? What scanning utility did you use,
and what were the settings?

I'm not sure that I only get MOCA and not QAM. I just assumed it was
so since I didn't detect any channels when scanning. Is there some
way of finding out one way or the other? I'm assuming verizon tech
support is useless...

--

Kurt Yoder
http://yoderhome.com