[mythtv-users] Problems ripping "RV"

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Feb 9 18:28:39 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 18:51, j mccord wrote:
> No it plays I've watched already, does anyone know of a list of
> "unrippable dvds" I've found lists that document windows rippers but
> nothing for linux, libdvdcss

I've no idea if this would work, but if the DVD has bad blocks just to prevent
successful copying, but doesn't rely on them being read as bad during
playback, it's conceivable that the "conv=noerror" option to dd would help,
as a command-line DVD copying tool:

dd if=/dev/dvd of=imagefile.iso conv=noerror

This option tells dd to continue copying after it encounters an error. I've
used it once or twice with flaky floppy disks, but never with CD-ROMs or
DVDs. In theory, it should give you a copy of all the readable data on the
DVD.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com