[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Fri Feb 9 19:54:45 UTC 2007

>> anyone know anything about the  3ware Escalade 8506-8 cards?

>The 8000-series lacks some of the management features of the
>9000-series, and may be slightly slower, but it'd sill be a perfectly
>good card for a MythTV storage array. Here's some help output from
>3ware's cli utils that may be enlightening:

The 8000 is probably more than enough for a myth system. There is one caveat
that I know of, not all the cards properly support two arrays at the same
speed.
If, for some odd reason say you want to have one Raid-1 array, and one
Raid-5 array on the same card, there will be a degradation of performance on
the second array.

However, most sensible people wouldn't run into this problem anyway. We have
sold numerous 8000 series cards in our systems without any issues.
I believe there is a difference in the CLI functions, but I have not noticed
any functional difference in the web interfaces between the 8000 to 9000
series.

The speed of access on the 9000 is better than the 8000, but I think that it
will be unoticable unless you have multiple core, multiprocessor fileserver
with a large memory bandwidth and multiple GBe connections (NFS is likely to
be any bottleneck, then the backend protocol, then disk access I would
think).
Gareth