[mythtv-users] Processor Recommendations?

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 9 21:07:15 UTC 2007

On Feb 09, 2007, at 14:57, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> What I really REALLY like about kvm over xen, especially for a
>> laptop,
>> is that you run a standard kernel as the hypervisor, instead of some
>> other beast (i.e., the xen hypervisor). Among other things, cpu
>> frequency scaling is  a load of crap under xen -- the dom0 and domU's
>> have no knowledge of one another's cpu usage, so frequency scaling
>> can't
>> happen sanely. With kvm, guests are just processes, so frequency
>> scaling
>> Just Works. Same with stuff like acpi, suspend, etc. that is either
>> non-functional or only partially implemented under xen.
>
> Hmm. But Redhat seems to be investing in Xen?

Red Hat is investing in virtualization. There's no clear winner in
the 'de facto open-source Linux virtualization' race just yet. It
could be xen, it could be kvm, it could be something else. Another
nice thing with kvm is that while its rather young, its *already*
upstream, whereas xen... Notsomuch. There's a reason we've developed
libvirt and built our virtualization tools around that instead of xen-
only APIs. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com