[mythtv-users] MythTV + Distro

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 9 22:46:52 UTC 2007

On 9 Feb 2007, at 19:23, David Campbell wrote:

>>> I'd say [K]ubuntu as it's a single command to install (but not
>>> configure) myth
>>
>> Indeed, as it is with Gentoo and surely many other distros.
>>
>> May I ask - had you never installed anything else on [K]ubuntu before
>> you installed Myth?
>
> It /was/ my desktop for nearly three years. I did an apt-get install
> mythtv myth-plugins - ran setup and moved the cube to my living space.
>
> Job done (mostly)

Indeed. This bears out my feeling that the "best Distro for MythTV
wrt easy installation" is whichever distro you're most familiar with.
It's when you're not familiar with any Linux distro that you're stuffed.

I guess I wouldn't be popular if I started responding to newcomers
like this, but there's a big bit of me that feels you should run
Windows Media Centre for a year if you're not familiar with Linux but
want to build a home PVR system.

In the circumstances that's the most reliable, painless & effective
way to record & playback TV, and it'll have a high WAF. During that
year installing Linux on a laptop or spare PC & using it for file-
sharing & surfing the web would place one in a much better position
to install Myth.

But no, we can't be seen to "drive away newbies" by telling them
that, or in any way be anything other than supportive of their
decision to choose our favourite platform, however difficult or
stressful it may transpire to be for them.

Stroller.