[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Sat Feb 10 00:55:45 UTC 2007

On Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 05:37:45PM -0600, matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 11:00:00PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
> > And I find them to be fairly affordable on eBay. I'd find the
> > off-the- shelf prices (here in the UK, at least) a little
> > prohibitive, but I  don't think I'm impatient enough that that
> > needs to be a problem. It  looks like one can pick up a 9500-12
> > for a couple of hundred quid,  6TB should be enough for anybody.
>
> This thread prompted me to take a gander at 3ware cards on ebay.  I
> didn't see any used (or reasonably priced) PCI Express 3ware SATA
> RAID cards.  All the ones I would consider affordable (e.g. 9500)
> are 64-bit PCI cards.

Yeah, I think it's only the 9550 which comes in PCI Express format, and
that's really too new to have hit the second-hand market.

> So, to those of you who own these cards, do you also have
> motherboards with 64-bit PCI (which are usually found only on
> "server" grade (i.e.  very expensive) boards), or do you just run
> them in 32-bit PCI slots found on most commodity motherboards?

I used to use it in a 32-bit slot but my latest board has a 64-bit PCI-X
slot.  These seem to be more common since PCI Express came in - it just
needs a cheap bridge chipset off a PCI Express bus.

> I used to use a 64 bit SCSI card.  None of my mobos have ever had
> the bigger PCI slots, and this card would actually *not* work in
> several motherboards.  I'm not sure if this was a failure of the
> motherboard or the SCSI card.

I've had a problem with the card in some boards - not from any
compatability issues but just because of where they've sited the
capacitors and other chipsets have made it impossible to fit the card
in.  I think it should work in any 3.3V PCI slot.

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___