[mythtv-users] MythTV + Distro

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Sat Feb 10 01:16:10 UTC 2007

Stroller wrote:
> Indeed. This bears out my feeling that the "best Distro for MythTV
> wrt easy installation" is whichever distro you're most familiar with.
> It's when you're not familiar with any Linux distro that you're stuffed.

Actually I am /much/ more familiar with Redhat derives than Debian ones
but I just got to the point one day where I said enough is enough.  I
don't want to spend my time maintaining my own packages or have to live
with the horror of using Yum or up2date to install.  I find the Debian
way of doing things confusing sometimes when compared to the Redhat
world but for desktops and home use being able to do apt-get install foo
and *know* you will probably get a reasonably recent version, well
packaged that won't screw up a system is a no brainer.

> I guess I wouldn't be popular if I started responding to newcomers
> like this, but there's a big bit of me that feels you should run
> Windows Media Centre for a year if you're not familiar with Linux but
> want to build a home PVR system.

Isn't there an open source windows Media Centre type software?
--
David Campbell :: www.cpfc.org