[mythtv-users] MythTV + Distro

David Snider dsnider at thesniderpad.com
Sat Feb 10 03:45:30 UTC 2007

> Precisely, you "run Gentoo". It is easy for folks who know it and are
> familiar with it. In fact I was trying to help a friend the other day
> who had installed kubuntu and I found their "easy" install/upgrade
> system very confusing - it's bad enough at the command line but the
> GUI thing that's supposed to make it "easy" is a nightmare. One would
> think that clicking on an icon labeled "full upgrade" would in fact
> perform a full upgrade, nope, you have to click something else
> labeled "perform request" or something like that. I'll take the
> "hard" solution any day over that mess.

Of course I "know" Gentoo *now*....  When I started 2 years ago, I was a
RedHat/Suse person.  And before that, I knew next to nothing about Linux
whatsoever.   But I didn't just magically gain the understanding to "run
Gentoo", I read the install guides, and the Administration guides.   My
advice for anyone who wants to really understand the underlying OS they
are running, run Gentoo.  If you want a nice point and click interface,
run something else, but be prepared to go through a lot of Google
searches when you have to something complex with the OS, as is sometimes
necessary with MythTV.