[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Feb 11 17:00:11 UTC 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2007, at 7:09 AM, Damian Surr wrote:
>

>> So, I'm really not complaining that I've lost data. That's my bad
>> luck
>> and no one else's fault. I'm simply asking if XFS is up to the job of
>> being a dependable file system. I'd rather have slow deletes than
>> situations like this. I'm holding off on reinstalling Ubuntu and Myth
>> until I hear some feedback because I know I'll need to reboot in the
>> future, and there'll be a power cut at some point even if I don't.
>>

> There was a discussion of this here a while back, check the archives.
>
> Basically I think XFS tends to get flaky when the filesystem gets
> close to full, a common situation with Myth. JFS is supposed to be
> good at deleting large files and some have suggested it is the best
> system for Myth.

I used JFS for a while and I believe it was causing my backend to
bail out every day or two. I lived with waking up in the morning and
restarting the backend. When the file system completely crapped out
and I lost all my recordings, I reformatted as ext3 and it's been
solid ever since. I'm running a 64bit system which might have
something to do with it. I just wanted to post my experience in case
anyone else is having this issue as well and as a warning for someone
looking for a new file system.