[mythtv-users] wireless keypad for a remote control?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 11 19:01:26 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 February 2007 13:28, ryan patterson wrote:
> What do people think about using a wireless numeric key pad for a remote
> control on their mythtv box?  It would have the advantage of not having to
> configure lirc at all.  Also it is RF wireless not IR.  So the USB receiver
> dongle can be plugged in to the rear of the mythtv box.  It would be nice
> if there was a way to reassign the numlock and backspace keys.  Or if there
> was a numlock status LED on the pad it would be great.
>
> http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?ts=1
>171218014779&storeId=10001&productId=134709&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&cmArea
>=SEARCH

Personally, I'd think the size, shape, and button mappings would make it a bit
awkward. I'm sure you could make it work by setting appropriate mappings for
MythTV keys, but my suspicion is it wouldn't be as easy to use (or especially
as easy to learn) as a conventional remote. Also, just 19 keys is a bit
limiting. You'll probably have to give up some functions and/or spend a lot
of time planning how to remap functions so that they're all accessible from
the keypad.

If you just dislike LIRC, there are full wireless keyboards (both IR and RF),
and programmable remotes (both IR and RF), so it is possible to do away with
LIRC by using such a keyboard and (optionally) teaching a programmable remote
the key codes. That's what I'm doing -- I've got an IR wireless keyboard and
I've programmed a hacked One For All URC-6131 remote to control my Myth box.
This works well for the most part, although occasionally the IR receiver
misses the key-up code, which results in endless repeats of the last key
pressed until I press another one. (Maybe adjusting keyboard repeat settings
would fix this problem, but I've not yet gotten around to looking into it.)

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com