[mythtv-users] How to stop OSD overlay resizing and showing jagged fonts ?

Dave dave at 0bits.com
Mon Feb 12 14:01:35 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Last niggle for me to sort out, and i've have tried and tried. Am i
doing something wrong ? If i haven't read some wiki or doc, please point
me to it and call me names.

My setup:

  VGA (d-sub) from a NVIDIA GeForce 7100
  Sony V series lcd, set maximum 1366x768 pixels

I've set the vga res output from the nvidia card to be 800x600 and i've
setup the correct "DisplaySize" in xorg.conf so 'xdpyinfo' shows i'm
correctly using 100x100dpi

   htpc ~% DISPLAY=:0 xdpyinfo |grep -i resolution
     resolution:    100x100 dots per inch

Now i have a TT S-1500 DVB card and when watching TV, some channels
which are displaying a reasonable non-HD resolution (720x480) picture,
the OSD when i'm browsing or get channel info, is *perfect*, the fonts
are smooth and look fab.

However tuning to a lower SDTV res image (380x252) the TV picture is
scaled to fit my TV size (fill is the scaling so it fills the screen)
but it appears the OSD overlay is also scaled to be in the right
position as before, but this scaling makes all the fonts and other OSD
components horrible and jaggy.

Now i know because it is a budget DVB card (i think) i'm not supposed to
get a /dev/dvb/adapterN/osdN device that i assume is the OSD overlay
device, so we're doing it in software, but is it really this bad in
software ? Is it not possible to do true OSD overlays ontop of the TV
picture in Myth ?

Have i not set up some compile option when building myth ? Or perhaps
not enabled some nvidia option in xorg.conf or is this what others are
experiencing too ?? Am i alone in seeing this ?

thanks
Dave