[mythtv-users] Baby Steps 2

mythtvster mythtvster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 19:50:25 UTC 2007

I am looking for advice on a system I have laying around that I would like
to use as a PVR. I have an old Dell Dimension Pentium III collecting dust
that I would like to upgrade to use solely as a PVR. It only has an onboard
video card and 128MB RAM so this would have to be upgraded correct?

Since it is only a PCI board what video card(s) are recommended? Do I need a
video card to encode and decode or will one card suffice? I would like to
hook this up to a 40" LCD via component or HDMI/DVI if at all possible - do
they even make a vanilla PCI card (with Linux drivers available) that will
handle this?

I plan on bulking the memory up to 512 (it's max), will this be sufficient?

Would this system be OK for a backend?  I do not not want to dump a whole
lot into it (including time) if the core system is not good enough.

Thanks in advance.