[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 04:41:06 UTC 2007

> As I understand it the HDHR boxes stream the video over ethernet, so
> "the corruption is actually in the file" indicates that the issue is
> with the ethernet load between the HDHR & the BE. (but only when the
> FE is used?)

I'm not _entirely_ clear why you have the Myth B/E system and the
> HDHR in a DMZ, but that may simply be because I'm not familiar with
> IPcop.
> Do you have separate network cards in the firewall-router for the
> green & orange zones?
> Are the Myth BE and the HDHR sharing a switch together?
> Because my instinct would suggest that there might be a routing
> problem and the issue is with the router's inability to move packets
> fast enough. Admittedly this does not entirely make sense if my
> assumptions about your network topography are correct.
>
> I have to admit that I'm not familiar with `netstat`, either, but my
> instinct would have been to move the the HDHR & the BE to the same
> network as the FE in the first place. It's not hard to do this (or
> shouldn't be, depending upon your configuration) and it would
> eliminate the firewall completely. The ethernet cables for the three
> machines should go into a 100mBit or faster network switch. Yes?
>
> Just to ensure that my brain's not playing tricks on me here, could
> you clarify a little more about your network, please? A link to your
> thinking that ip address & subnet mask for each interface on each
> machine (FE, BE & HDHR) should clarify, maybe with a description of
> the physical Ethernet connections, too.

 Your first statement is correct, the HDHR streams video over ethernet.  As
you say, it appears that it could be a network load issue.  However, I don't
really understand why; if I understand correctly you should be able to use
at least both tuners of the HDHR, and possibly even more, on a single 100 MB
network.  All I'm trying to do, at least for now, is use one tuner, with one
F/E.  I would also think if it was a network issue I should be able to see
errors popping up somewhere; netstat, ipconfig, dmesg, /var/logs, etc. and
I'm not.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.  Also, if I was
saturating the network I would think performance on the F/E would suffer,
but I don't see any evidence of that (i.e. jumping from menu to menu is
fine, playing back recordings from other inputs is fine, etc.).

The IPCop system has three network cards; one connected to my cable modem,
one for the orange (DMZ) LAN, and the third for the internal (green) LAN.
Traffic between the orange and green network is routed through the IPCop
system.  My thinking for putting the IPCop system in the DMZ was always on
system, connected to the Internet, which I wanted to be able to connect to
remotely.  Maybe I'm being a little too paranoid, but this setup has never
caused me any issues in the past.  I even asked the question about this
configuration on the HDHR forums prior to purchasing the device.  Other than
one minor issue with not being able to use the Windows GUI
'hdhomerun_config' program because it couldn't cross networks there were no
objections raised; and one of the responses was from the main tech guy on
there (Nick).

I'll try to describe my network the best I can.  The myth B/E has an I.P.
address of 192.168.1.2, with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.  The HDHR has an
I.P. address of 192.168.1.201.  They are both connected to an 8-port 10/100
hub.  Also connected to this hub is the 'orange' network card of the IPCop
box, which has an I.P. address of 192.168.1.1.  The 'green' network card of
the IPCop box has an I.P. address of 192.168.0.1 and it is connected to an
el-cheapo 8-port fast ethernet switch in the same room.  The F/E is located
in another room where it is connected to another 8-port fast ethernet switch
(same model as the first).  The F/E's I.P. address is 192.168.0.92.  The two
switches are connected together.  In the process of troubleshooting this
problem I tried eliminating the switch in the F/E room and also swapping out
the hub with a switch.  Neither change seemed to make any difference,
although I have to say I didn't really test it that thoroughly.

Right now I'm in the process of setting up another myth B/E on the green
network.  Even if this proves to be the answer I'd still like to know why my
original setup isn't working.

Thanks for your help.
John