[mythtv-users] Network Shares

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Tue Feb 13 14:20:10 UTC 2007

Darren wrote:
> It will mostly likely be samba denying permission. The samba config file is
> usually /etc/samba/smb.conf check it for write access to your share and then
> it will only allow access to the user that is logged in. You can cut a corner
> and allow global access with a security setting of share.
> In the [global] section of smb.conf put in or change   security = share   this
> is the least secure of settings but will help pin down your problem. A last
> word, samba has it's own security file,  you can use    smbpasswd -a username
> to add a user with no password, the option -a can only be used by root.

In case you didn't notice, he's using Windows 2003 servers, not Linux
servers, for his Samba shares.

I too have almost exactly the same problem, only I -do- use a Linux (FC3
I believe) Samba server.  Any Windows machine, and my main machine back
when it was FC4 could access those shares without any problems, read
write, with no password (I am firewalled to the outside world, so I am
not worried too much about not using passwords).  When I moved my combo
BE/FE from FC4 to FC6, I could no longer automatically mount those
shares as read/write.  I tried switching from fstab to automount, and
half a dozen other things, even adding the mount command to rc.local (if
memory serves), but all I could do was get them to mount read only.  I
had to do it by hand to get read/write.  It must be something in FC6.

Since my files server is Linux, I "solved" my problem by also exporting
the same shares with NFS.  With NFS, the mounts in fstab work for
read/write.  Thus I access the same shares with NFS for Linux clients
and Samba for Windows clients.  That probably won't help the original
poster, though.

Jeff.
--
I haven't smoked for 5 months, 3 weeks and 6 days,
saving $812.05 and not smoking 5,413.71 cigarettes.